Hard Wax Oil - Clear
Fiddes Hard Wax Oil is a highly versatile finishing oil made from a blend of natural vegetable oils and waxes. Perfect for use on wooden floors, doors, kitchen surfaces, children's toys, skirting, furniture and unsealed tiles.
- A highly durable blend of waxes and oils for wooden floors and other interior wood
- Scratch and scuff resistant whilst protecting against liquid spills
- Does not crack, flake, peel or blister
- Easily maintained and restored
- Safe for humans, animals and plants when dry
- Very High VOC
Ensure that surfaces to be treated are clean, dry and free from any previous finishes before applying Hard Wax Oil.
- If required, existing oiled surfaces can be cleaned or de-greased with a lint free or microfibre cloth dampened with methylated or white spirit
- If required, sand the wood surface with 120 - 150 grade sandpaper, then remove any residual sanding dust
- Existing varnishes and sealers must be completely removed by sanding or with a suitable paint or varnish remover
- Fill in any holes or gaps in wooden floors with Fiddes Floor Repair Kit or other suitable wood filler
- To protect against mould and blue stain in moist surroundings, pre-treat with a suitable interior wood preservative
Always do a test area before starting any project to assess product suitability and final finish. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on the tin at all times. No thinner or primer is required. Stir thoroughly before and during application.
Fiddes Hard Wax Oil can be applied directly from the tin onto a prepared surface with a good quality natural bristle paint brush, cloth, microfibre roller or other floor finish applicator. It is ideally applied in a well ventilated area at room temperature. For best results and maximum protection, Fiddes recommend 2 thin coats on hardwoods such as oak. Some softwoods such as pine may accept 3 thin coats but a test area is highly recommended to test absorption.
- Apply thinly and evenly, working the hardwax oil into the wood following the direction of the grain
- Remove any excess hard wax oil immediately with a soft, lint-free cloth
- Leave to dry 4-6 hours in warm, dry, well ventilated conditions
- Once the first coat has dried, lightly abrade or de-nib the surface with 150 grade sandpaper or equivalent finishing pad and remove all sanding dust with a vacuum
- Apply another coat of hard wax oil, again thinly and evenly
- Leave to dry for 4-6 hours or preferably over night
- When the surface area is completely dry, it can be lightly buffed if an improved sheen is desired
For day to day cleaning, surfaces treated with Fiddes Hard Wax Oil can be dry wiped, swept or vacuumed.
To clean surface scuffs, marks and stains, use Fiddes floor surface cleaner and a damp (not wet) microfibre cloth or mop.
Please Note: Although Fiddes Cleaner is named 'Floor Surface Cleaner' it can be used on any surface treated with Fiddes Hard Wax Oil including floors, furniture, table tops and kitchen worktops.
Alternatively, Fiddes wood surface cleaner can be used on these other surfaces.
Oiled or waxed floors and surfaces should not be cleaned with a steam cleaner or steam mop as these can degrade or strip the finish and potentially damage the floor.
Scuffs, stains, marks and minor scratches can be quickly and easily repaired.
- Minor Blemishes can be removed by buffing with a cloth or brush as well as vacuuming
- Light damage such as stains can be easily repaired by lightly sanding and re-applying a fresh coat of Hardwax Oil
- Heavy damage including scratches can be easily 'repaired' by sanding the affected area, back to the bare wood if necessary and re-applying a fresh coat of the Hardwax Oil